Skip to main content

How to replace lost or stolen ID cards

Rules for replacing government-issued ID cards vary. Many require you to show an official document, like your birth certificate. This proves your identity or citizenship.

Type of ID Who to contact
Birth certificate Contact your birth state or territory's vital records office to get a certified copy of your birth certificate.
Driver’s license or state ID card Contact your state motor vehicle agency for a replacement license or state ID card.
Social Security card Visit the Social Security Administration website to replace your card online, by mail, or in person.
Medicare card Request a replacement online with your my Social Security account. Or call 1-800-MEDICARE, (1-800-633-4227 TTY 1-877-486-2048).
Medicaid card Contact your state Medicaid office to get a replacement.
U.S. passport Report your lost or stolen passport to the State Department. Then request a replacement in person.
Permanent Resident (Green) Card Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to replace your Green Card.
Naturalization certificate Submit Form N-565 to replace a Certificate of Citizenship.
Military ID card Report the missing card to your unit security officer. Then find an ID Card office and make an appointment.

LAST UPDATED: January 26, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.