There are a variety of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) programs to help vets with housing situations:
- If you're planning to buy a home, check into a VA home loan. VA loans require no down-payment and no private mortgage insurance.
- If you have an existing VA home loan, you may be able to refinance it with a VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL).
- If you need in-home care to help you remain in your home, the VA may be able to help. Call the VA Health Care Benefits number at 1-877-222-8387, or contact the VA medical center nearest you.
- The VA can also help place elderly veterans in a variety of residential settings, including medical foster homes.
Armed Forces Retirement Home
- Another option for some military retirees and other veterans is the Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH). The AFRH, a small, independent agency, runs retirement communities in Washington, DC, and Gulfport, MI. Both offer recreation and wellness services including assisted living and skilled care. Contact AFRH to learn more.