Car Complaints

Find out what to do when you want to complain about a defective car.

Complaints about Cars

If you have a complaint about your car, file it directly with the dealer, lender, or manufacturer. If you don't get results, you can contact a state or federal government agency.  If your complaint is about:

Some agencies will investigate your complaint, but others may collect the information and file a case against the company in the future. 

Lemon Laws

A car is called a "lemon" when it's determined that the vehicle is defective beyond repair. Most states have some form of a lemon law to protect car buyers. These laws tend to only apply to new cars, but you should check with your state's consumer protection office to see if they also cover used cars. Each state has its own requirements, but overall the ability for a car to qualify as a lemon depends on a few things:

  • Number of miles driven -- The defects had to happen within a certain number of months or miles driven.
  • Substantial defects -- Defects have to be major, and involve the actual operation of the car, such as the initiation, brakes, engine, transmission, or other major parts of the car.
  • Reasonable repair attempts -- You have to give mechanics multiple chances to repair the problems.
  • Number of days in the shop -- Your car has to have been in the mechanic's shop for a significant number of days, (generally 30 days or more) within a year.

To get your problem resolved, first contact the car manufacturer. Send the manufacturer a complaint letter by certified mail detailing the problems, copies of work orders and invoices, and your request for a refund or other solution. If the manufacturer doesn’t help, you still may be able to resolve the problem. Many car contracts have mandatory arbitration clauses to settle disputes, so that may be your next step. Check with your state attorney general or consumer protection office to get the rules specific to where you live.

You can also contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) AUTO LINE, a lemon law complaint program that covers car warranty issues against participating manufacturers.

Back to Top

Mandatory Arbitration Clauses

Mandatory arbitration clauses are phrases written into contracts that state that if you have a dispute with a company, you must resolve it through arbitration. These clauses can prevent you from filing a lawsuit against a company. Arbitration clauses are fairly common in automotive, credit card, and cell phone contracts. But now, they are appearing in website terms and conditions statements, coupons, or corporate social media profiles. While arbitration can be less expensive, it is sometimes seen as unfair to make arbitration a requirement before a negative incident has happened or knowing how serious the problem is. Also, the decisions are binding, so you can’t appeal the decision, even if the company was severely negligent.

Before you sign a contract or even use a website, read the contract or terms of service for mentions of “arbitration”, “binding arbitration” or “resolution programs”; this language is often in the fine print of the contract and can be easily missed. Also, note that some companies may let you opt-out of these clauses, if you do so within 30 days.

Share This Page: Facebook Twitter Email

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

What you think matters!

Last Updated: September 17, 2018