Skip to main content

How to get emergency food assistance

You can get immediate food assistance from government and private organizations. If you are hungry now, learn where to find food in your area.

Contact government or private organizations for immediate food assistance:

  • Call 211 to find agencies and community organizations that can assist you with finding food in an emergency.
  • Call the USDA National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY (1-866-348-6479) or 1-877-8-HAMBRE (1-877-842-6273). Information is available in English and Spanish. The hotline operates Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM Eastern Time.
  • Use HUD's Find Shelter tool to enter your zip code and find your closest food pantry.
  • Contact community or religious organizations to find a local food bank or food pantry.


LAST UPDATED: December 7, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.