Skip to main content

Find emergency housing

If you are facing homelessness, these programs can help you find short-term housing.

Dial 211 for help finding emergency housing

In most areas of the U.S., dial 211 to connect with local social services and referrals for emergency housing.

Find shelters near you

Check HUD's local homeless assistance list for shelters and housing in your state.

Emergency housing for special groups

Youth emergency housing

Contact the National Runaway Safeline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929), for free, confidential, and non-judgmental support 24 hours a day. It also offers free transportation home or to other safe, stable housing.

Veterans emergency housing


LAST UPDATED: December 15, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.