Skip to main content

Federal tax return extensions

If you need more time to file your tax return, you may qualify for a six-month extension. But you still must estimate and pay your taxes on time to avoid a penalty.

While you will get more time to file your return, an extension does not grant you more time to pay your taxes. To avoid possible penalties, you should estimate and pay your federal taxes by the due date. 

You can request an extension:

  • Online using IRS’ Free File program
  • When you pay your estimated tax bill
  • Using IRS Form 4868

LAST UPDATED: July 24, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.