Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


This site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.


Get Help with Your Taxes

Learn if you're eligible for free help with your tax returns.

Free Income Tax Return Preparation Help

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides free publications, forms, and tools to help all taxpayers fulfill their tax obligation:

Special Programs for Eligible Taxpayers

If you qualify, the following free tax return preparation programs are available:

  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - VITA offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and taxpayers with limited English. IRS-certified volunteers provide information about tax credits and prepare a basic tax return with electronic filing.
  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) - TCE offers free tax help to all taxpayers. They offer specialized help to those who are 60 years and older and have pension or retirement questions. IRS-certified volunteers specialize in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors. 
  • Use the VITA/TCE checklist (3676) to learn more about the services of the VITA/TCE programs and what you should bring to your appointment. 

Contact the IRS

For the fastest information, the IRS recommends finding answers to your tax questions online. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or TTY: 1-800-829-4059. This option works best for less complex questions. Keep in mind that wait times to speak with a representative may be long.  You may also contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service if you are having a tax problem.

Free Federal Tax Resources for Seniors and Retirees

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers resources to answer your federal tax questions and address topics that matter to older taxpayers.

You may also be able to get help preparing your state tax return or qualify for state tax relief programs. Contact your state's tax department for more information.

Military Tax Guidance and Tax Preparation Help

Get ready to file your federal income taxes as a service member, veteran, or family member. 

Tax Preparation Help 

Tax Benefits for Military, Dependents, Veterans

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers tax information for military, retirees, and veterans. It covers tax benefits and tax handling for various situations and groups. These include:

  • A combat pay exclusion for active military

  • Disability pay benefits for veterans

  • Death benefits for survivors of military members


Tax Help for People with Disabilities

If you have a disability, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers resources to help you with your taxes:

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter Email

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

Last Updated: October 29, 2019