The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides free publications, forms, and tools to help all taxpayers fulfill their tax obligation:
- Forms and Publications - Get the most popular forms and instructions, or search for specific titles or product numbers. The IRS also offers forms and publications for taxpayers with visual impairments.
- Tax Tools - Find interactive forms, calculators, and other helpful tools.
- Help and Resource Center - Learn about the many free services and resources that the IRS offers to taxpayers.
- Interactive Tax Assistant - Use this tool to find answers to your general tax questions.
- Choose a Tax Preparer - Get tips for finding a tax preparer with the credentials and experience to handle your tax needs. Learn how to file a complaint if your preparer has acted improperly.
Special Programs for Eligible Taxpayers
If you qualify, the following free tax return preparation programs are available:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) - VITA offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and taxpayers with limited English. IRS-certified volunteers provide information about tax credits and prepare a basic tax return with electronic filing.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) - TCE offers free tax help to all taxpayers. They offer specialized help to those who are 60 years and older and have pension or retirement questions. IRS-certified volunteers specialize in questions about pensions and retirement-related issues unique to seniors.
- Use the VITA/TCE checklist (3676) to learn more about the services of the VITA/TCE programs and what you should bring to your appointment.
Contact the IRS
For the fastest information, the IRS recommends finding answers to your tax questions online. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or TTY: 1-800-829-4059. This option works best for less complex questions. Keep in mind that wait times to speak with a representative may be long. You may also contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service if you are having a tax problem.