Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


This site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.


Resolve Tax Disputes

Get help resolving your tax disputes with the IRS and understanding your rights and responsibilities as a taxpayer:

  • Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) - This free service helps you resolve tax problems. Get help with delayed or undelivered refunds, assistance if you're unable to pay your taxes, and more. Find a local taxpayer advocate in your area.

  • Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITCs) - Contact a local LITC for free or low-cost services. LITCs represent people in disputes with the IRS. They provide education on taxpayer rights and responsibilities. And, they can help taxpayers who speak English as a second language (ESL).

  • Office of Appeals - This independent organization within the IRS helps resolve your tax disputes without going to tax court. Learn whether an appeal is right for you.

  • Centralized Lien Operation - The IRS resolves basic and routine tax lien issues, such as verifying a lien, requesting a lien payoff amount, or releasing a lien. For assistance, call 1-800-913-6050 or write to:  

Internal Revenue Service

Centralized Lien Operation

PO Box 145595

Stop 8420G 

Cincinnati OH 45250-5595

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter Email

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: January 3, 2020