Skip to main content

Get transcripts and copies of tax returns

You can get a transcript or a copy of a tax return to prove your income for a loan, housing, or benefits. Learn the difference between transcripts and copies and how to get them.

Get a federal tax transcript

Transcripts are print-outs of the most important highlights from a tax return. In many cases, you may only need a transcript and not a full copy of your tax return. Besides transcripts of your tax return, find out what other types of transcripts you can request from the IRS.

  • You can get transcripts of the last 10 tax years.
  • Transcripts are free.
  • Online orders can be downloaded immediately.
  • Phone and mail orders take 5-10 days.

Learn how to request a tax transcript online, by phone, or by mail.

Get a copy of your federal tax return

Copies of tax returns are exact replicas of your tax return and all the attached forms you submitted. In most cases, you will need a transcript rather than a copy of your tax return. But you may need a copy of your tax return for other reasons, like filing an amended tax return.

  • You can get copies of your last 7 years of tax returns.
  • Each copy is $43.
  • It may take up to 75 days to process your request.

Learn how to get a copy of your tax return using Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return.

Get copies of a state tax return

For copies of state tax returns, contact your state's department of revenue.

LAST UPDATED: January 9, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.