Get transcripts and copies of tax returns
You can get a transcript or a copy of a tax return to prove your income for a loan, housing, or benefits. Learn the difference between transcripts and copies and how to get them.
Get a federal tax return transcript
Transcripts are print-outs of the most important highlights from a tax return. In many cases, you may only need a transcript and not a full copy of your tax return.
- You can get transcripts of the last 10 tax years.
- Transcripts are free.
- Online orders can be downloaded immediately.
- Phone and mail orders take 5-10 days.
Get a copy of your federal tax return
Copies of tax returns are exact replicas of your tax return and all the attached forms you submitted. In most cases, you will need a transcript rather than a copy of your tax return. But you may need a copy of your tax return for other reasons, like filing an amended tax return.
- You can get copies of your last 7 years of tax returns.
- Each copy is $43.
- It may take up to 75 days to process your request.
Get copies of a state tax return
For copies of state tax returns, contact your state's department of revenue.
LAST UPDATED: July 25, 2023