Skip to main content

Get Your Tax Forms

Make sure you have the forms you need to file your taxes. Learn about 2020 tax forms, instructions, and publications. Find out what to do if you don’t get your W2 on time, and learn how to request copies of your previous tax transcripts.

Get Tax Forms and Publications

If you file your taxes by paper, you’ll need copies of some forms, instructions, and worksheets.  

Get Federal Tax Forms

Get the current filing year’s forms, instructions, and publications for free from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

You can also find printed versions of many forms, instructions and publications in your community for free at

New 1040 Form for Seniors

The IRS has released a new tax filing form for people 65 and older. It’s an easier-to-read version of the 1040 form. It has bigger type, less shading, and features like a standard deduction chart. The form is optional and uses the same schedules, instructions, and attachments as the regular 1040.

Accessible Forms

The IRS provides many forms and publications in accessible formats. This includes Section 508 accessible PDFs and Braille or text forms. They also have forms for prior tax years.

State Tax Forms

Download your state's tax forms and instructions for free.

Get Your W-2 Before Tax Time

Employers must send you your W-2 by January 31 for the earnings from the previous calendar year of work. This form shows the income you earned for the year and the taxes withheld from those earnings.

If You Don’t Receive a W-2

If you don't receive your W-2 by January 31, inform your employer. If that doesn’t work, follow these other steps to get your W-2.

If Your W-2 is Incorrect

If your W-2 is incorrect, follow these guidelines to get a corrected one.

Help for Employers

The IRS offers resources on where, when and how employers can file W-2 forms for employees.

1099 Income Statements

Businesses and government agencies use 1099 forms to report various types of income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). These types of income do not include wages, salaries, or tips. Learn about the types of Form 1099, what to do if you notice any errors and how to get a copy if you didn’t receive one.   

Incorrect or Missing Form 1099

Contact the business or government agency if:

  • Any of the reported income or information on your form is incorrect

  • You did not receive your Form 1099

Common Types of Form 1099

  • 1099-MISC for contracting and freelance work, gambling and prize winnings, and more

  • 1099-INT for bank account interest

  • 1099-DIV for investment distributions and dividends

  • 1099-R for retirement account distributions from:

    • 401(k) accounts

    • IRAs

    • Thrift Savings Plans

    • Annuities

    • Pensions 

  • 1099-S for real estate sales income

Every business or agency must:

  • Complete a Form 1099 for each transaction

  • Retain a copy for its records

  • Send a copy to the IRS and yourself. You should receive your copy by early February (or mid-February for Form 1099-B).

You must include this income on your federal tax return.

Contact the IRS

If you requested Form 1099 from a business or agency and didn’t receive it, contact the IRS. Wait times to speak with a representative may be long.

Get Copies and Transcripts of Your Tax Returns

You may need a copy or a transcript of a prior year's tax return. The IRS has stopped processing tax transcripts until further notice. 

Get a Transcript of a Tax Return

A transcript is a computer printout of your return information. Sometimes a transcript is an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of your tax return. You may need a transcript when preparing your taxes. They are often used to verify income and tax filing status when applying for loans and government benefits.

Contact the IRS to get a free transcript online or by mail. Create and sign into your account at to read, print, or download your transcripts.  

Get a State Return

For copies of state tax returns, contact your state's Department of Revenue.

Share This Page:

Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They'll get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

Last Updated: March 29, 2021