File a complaint about a mortgage company
Find out where to complain about a mortgage company for discrimination, deceptive practices, and scams.
Report a mortgage lender for discrimination
If you think you have experienced housing discrimination, submit a housing complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Housing discrimination happens when a lending institution gets in the way of a person buying housing because of their:
- Race or color
- National origin
- Sex (gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation)
- Familial status (such as having children)
The Fair Housing Act makes housing discrimination illegal. Read about the types of discrimination covered by the Fair Housing Act.
File a complaint about mortgage company services
If you are experiencing a problem with your mortgage company’s services, try contacting the company first. If you cannot resolve the issue with your lender, file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Examples of common mortgage complaints include:
- Applying for a mortgage
- Receiving loan estimates and closing documents
- Transferring a mortgage to another servicer
- Applying your payments correctly
- Refinancing or modifying a mortgage loan
- Misreporting mortgage account status to you or credit reporting agencies
- Requiring private mortgage insurance
- Paying additional fees
Report deceptive mortgage practices and scams
Deceptive mortgage practices
Report a mortgage company to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) if it makes deceptive statements, omits important facts, or takes misleading actions. Examples include:
- False statements about their ability to offer a loan
- Fees for services the mortgage company didn’t provide
- Illegal tactics to collect on mortgage balances
Also, file a complaint with your state consumer protection office about deceptive mortgage practices.
Mortgage relief scams
A scammer may offer to adjust your mortgage so you will pay less and avoid foreclosure.
Learn from the FTC about mortgage relief scams, including:
- Types of mortgage relief scams
- What to do if you have been scammed
- Where to report a mortgage relief scam
- How to get real help if you are having trouble paying your mortgage
LAST UPDATED: December 7, 2023