Skip to main content

Find rental assistance for specific groups

Learn about special rental assistance programs if you are a veteran or have a disability.

Get rental assistance for veterans

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) might be able to help you:

  • Keep your current home
  • Find a new, more suitable housing situation for you and your family
  • Rapidly re-house you and your family if you are experiencing homelessness

Find out if you are eligible for SSVF

To apply for SSVF, you must:

  • Be a veteran, or living in a family headed by a veteran or their spouse
  • Have a very low income
  • Be imminently at risk of becoming homeless

How to apply for SSVF

Call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to locate and make an appointment with the SSVF provider in your area.

Rental assistance for people under age 62 with disabilities

If you are under age 62 and have a disability, you might be able to apply for a non-elderly disabled (NED) voucher to help you find and pay for affordable private rental housing.

Find out if you are eligible for a NED voucher

To apply for a NED voucher, you must:

  • Be the head, spouse, or co-head of a family
  • Be under age 62
  • Have a disability
  • Meet other NED eligibility requirements based on your income and where you live

How to apply for a NED voucher

Look up and contact your local public housing agency to learn about your eligibility and to apply for a NED voucher and other housing help.

Other housing resources

In addition to the special programs above, you may also qualify for other housing programs including:

LAST UPDATED: December 21, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.