Get help with bills after a disaster
Learn where to get help with utility bills, credit card payments, student debt, and auto loans after a disaster.
How to apply for help with utility bills after a disaster
Your local Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may help pay your heating and cooling utility bills after a disaster.
Get help paying your credit card bills after a disaster
If you cannot pay your credit card bill after a disaster, your credit card company may be able to help. Get tips on:
- Finding ways to limit your expenses
- Explaining your situation to your credit card company
- Choosing a credit counselor you can trust
How to make student loan payments or complete college after a disaster
If you were impacted by a federally declared disaster, help is available if you cannot:
- Pay your student loan
- Complete your studies at the school where you are currently enrolled
- You need to transfer to a different school
- You were not able to complete the school year
- Your financial aid documentation has been lost or damaged
- You are having difficulty making your student loan payments
- Your student loan is in default
Get help making your auto loan payments
If a natural disaster has affected your ability to make car payments, contact your lender. Learn more about working out an agreement with your auto loan servicer.
LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023