How to apply for disaster assistance
FEMA provides financial assistance if you live in a presidentially declared disaster area. Learn if you are eligible for help and how to apply.
Find out if you are eligible for disaster assistance
You must live in a presidentially declared disaster area to receive financial assistance from FEMA. Look up your area in the address lookup tool to determine if you are eligible to receive help.
Not everyone qualifies for all the assistance programs in an area. FEMA offers an anonymous tool to help you check your eligibility. Get a personalized list of the disaster assistance you qualify for.
How to apply for FEMA disaster assistance
There are four ways you can apply for FEMA disaster assistance:
- Apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Apply using the FEMA app. Download the free app from your smart phone's app store.
- Apply by phone at 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585).
- Apply in person at a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). Find a DRC near you.
Information you will need to apply for disaster assistance
To apply for disaster assistance, you will need:
- Your Social Security number
- Insurance information
- A description of the damage caused
- Your annual household income
- Contact information
- Bank account information for direct deposit
Check the status of your application
You can check the status of your application if you provided your email address and contact information when you applied for assistance. There are three ways to check your application:
LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023