Skip to main content

Get help with your mortgage or a loan for home repairs after a disaster

If you live in a presidentially declared disaster area, you may be able to get mortgage assistance or financial help to repair or rebuild your home.

Mortgage payments on your home after a disaster

You must continue to pay your mortgage, even if a disaster damages your home. Contact your mortgage servicer if you are unable to pay. Ask your servicer if you qualify for forbearance. 

Mortgage help for homeowners with FHA loans

Borrowers with mortgages backed by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) can qualify for additional help. By answering this series of questions from the FHA, you can determine what help you may qualify for. Once you answer the questions and know your eligibility, contact your mortgage servicer.

Get a home loan after a disaster

Get an SBA disaster loan to repair your home

The Small Business Administration (SBA) loans money to homeowners and renters whose homes were damaged in a disaster. You may be eligible even if you do not own a business.

To qualify for an SBA home loan:

  • Your home must be in a presidentially declared disaster area.
  • The loan must be for your primary home.
  • The loan can’t duplicate benefits from insurance policies or benefit programs.

Learn more about SBA loans for homes and personal property and how to apply. Note that before applying for an SBA disaster loan, you must register with FEMA at

Learn how to get an FHA mortgage to replace your home

The FHA makes it easier to get a mortgage to rebuild or buy a new home.

The FHA offers mortgage insurance if your home is destroyed in a disaster. Under this program:

  • You will not have to make a down payment.
  • You will pay the FHA mortgage insurance as part of your mortgage payment.

Contact an FHA-approved lender to apply for an FHA disaster mortgage.

Find an FHA-approved lender

LAST UPDATED: April 10, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.