Skip to main content

How to get emergency assistance if you are in a foreign country

Find out what emergency help you can get from the U.S. Department of State if you are a U.S. citizen abroad.

If you are a U.S. citizen who needs assistance outside the U.S., find and contact the nearest U.S. embassy for help with:

  • Foreign crises and natural disasters
  • Lost or stolen passports
  • Medical emergencies
  • Crime or arrest
  • Missing persons
  • Parental child abductions
  • Death abroad
  • Call 1-888-407-4747 if you are concerned about a family member outside the U.S.

Read answers to frequently asked questions about how the Department of State can and cannot help U.S. citizens in a foreign crisis.

LAST UPDATED: May 15, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.