Skip to main content

How to get money if you are in a foreign country during an emergency

Find out how you can get money wired or obtain a loan in an emergency abroad from the U.S. State Department or a U.S. embassy. And find out how you can pay your loan back.

If you are outside the U.S. and need money in an emergency, there are a number of ways you can have money sent from a friend or family member. These include:

  • Bank transfer
  • Credit cards
  • Wire transfer

If these options are not possible, the U.S. State Department may be able to help your friend or family member transfer the money. 

Learn how to get emergency financial assistance abroad.

If you have no other way to get money, you may be able to get a temporary repatriation or evacuation loan through the U.S. State Department.

Look up and contact a U.S. Embassy or consulate to ask about repatriation and evacuation loans.

If you get a repatriation or evacuation loan, you must repay it. You may do so with your bank account, debit, or credit card through

LAST UPDATED: May 15, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.