Skip to main content

What to do if a U.S. citizen dies abroad

Find out how a U.S. embassy can help with funeral arrangements and documentation when a U.S. citizen dies abroad.

If you are the next-of-kin or the personal representative of someone who died abroad, find the U.S. embassy in the country where they died. U.S. embassies and consulates can:

Learn more about how embassies can help when an American citizen dies in a foreign country.

LAST UPDATED: May 15, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.