Skip to main content

Get free help with your tax return

Find help filing your federal tax return with free programs and tools for specific needs or general tax filing questions.

Get free help filling out your tax return

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) are programs with IRS-certified volunteers. They explain tax credits and prepare basic tax returns. 

You may be able to get free tax help from VITA if at least one of these is true:

  • You make $60,000 a year or less
  • You have a disability
  • You speak limited English

TCE focuses on questions about pensions and retirement-related issues. It offers free tax help to all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 or older.

MilTax, from the Department of Defense, offers free tax assistance to military service members.

  • Get help with tax preparation services
  • Use free filing software
  • Consult with professionals experienced with military tax issues

Free IRS tools and resources for help with your tax return

The IRS provides free online resources to help you with tax questions and preparing your return:

LAST UPDATED: April 4, 2023


Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.