Get free help with your tax return
Find help filing your federal tax return with free programs and tools for specific needs or general tax filing questions.
Get free help filling out your tax return
You may qualify for free help with your tax return based on your age, income, disability, or military status.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)
VITA and TCE are programs with IRS-certified volunteers. They explain tax credits and prepare basic tax returns.
- VITA - You may qualify if at least one of these is true:
- You make $60,000 a year or less
- You have a disability
- You speak limited English
- TCE - This program focuses on questions about pensions and retirement-related issues. It offers free tax help to all taxpayers, particularly those who are 60 or older.
IRS Free File
IRS Free File is an online program that can help you prepare and file your federal tax return. You may be eligible if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is $73,000 or less. Learn:
- How IRS Free File works
- What information and documents you need to get started
- Which IRS Free File program you may qualify for
MilTax, from the Department of Defense, offers free tax assistance to military service members.
- Get help with tax preparation services
- Use free filing software
- Consult with professionals experienced with military tax issues
Free IRS tools and resources for help with your tax return
The IRS provides free online resources to help you with tax questions and preparing your return:
- Help and Resource Center - Find online tools and resources for popular tax time topics
- Interactive Tax Assistant - Use this tool to find answers to tax questions geared to your individual situation.
- Choose a Tax Preparer - Get tips for finding a tax preparer with the credentials and experience to handle your tax needs. Learn how to file a complaint if your preparer has acted improperly.
- Forms and Publications - Get tax forms and instructions. You can also search for specific titles or product numbers. The IRS also offers forms and publications for taxpayers with visual impairments.
LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023