Skip to main content

Tax relief for federally declared disaster areas

The IRS offers tax relief to those affected by federally declared disasters. If you are a disaster survivor, you may qualify for a tax-filing extension or expedited tax refund.

Learn how to apply for tax relief, and find out what options may be available if you recently experienced losses due to a disaster in your area.

Get tax relief after a federally declared disaster

You may be eligible for a faster tax refund or an extension to file your return if you are in a federally declared disaster area.

To get a faster tax refund, you will need to claim your losses from a disaster. You can do this on your tax return or on an amended return.

Learn more about taxes and disaster relief

You can find additional tax and disaster information from the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). This independent organization within the IRS offers a variety of tax-related resources.

Search the TAS website for disaster relief and preparedness tips such as:

  • Finding updated tax information related to recent disasters
  • Protecting tax records and documenting assets before a disaster strikes
  • Reconstructing tax records if they were lost or destroyed

LAST UPDATED: June 1, 2023


Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.