Skip to main content

What to do if your W-2 form is incorrect or you never received it

Your employer must send your W-2 form by January 31. This shows the income you earned for the previous year and the taxes withheld from those earnings.

Learn what to do if you never received your W-2, if it is incorrect, or how to file a W-2 if you are an employer.

How to get your W-2 if you did not receive one

If you did not receive your W-2 by January 31, inform your employer. If that does not work, follow these steps from the IRS to get your W-2.

How to correct a W-2

If your W-2 is incorrect, follow these IRS guidelines to get a corrected one.

How to file or correct a W-2 if you are an employer

Learn from the IRS about filing W-2s for your employees and how to correct errors.

LAST UPDATED: April 6, 2023


Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.