Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


This site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.


Tax Credits and Deductions

Learn about tax relief, benefits, and incentives.

Tax Reform: Big Changes for 2018

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act made big changes to how the government calculates your income taxes. These changes apply to your 2018 federal tax return, which was due in April. If you received a filing extension, it's due October 15, 2019, in most cases. 

Filing Federal Income Taxes May Be Easier Under New Tax Law

The new law may simplify filing and reduce taxes for many people. It

  • Lowers tax rates

  • Increases the standard deduction

  • Doubles the child tax credit

  • Creates a new “other dependents” credit

Or, depending on your situation, the new law may make your tax bill the same or higher than last year. It

  • Eliminates the personal and dependent exemptions

  • Limits or eliminates many itemized deductions

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) expects that most people will pay less tax for 2018 than they did for 2017.

Tax Rates Go Down

There are still seven tax rates, but most of them have gone down. The top tax rate is now 37%, down from 39.6% last year. Compare the 2018 and 2017 tax rates and brackets to see where you fall.

Standard Deduction Grows

The law nearly doubles the standard deduction for most filers. The standard deduction for 2018 is

  • $12,000 for individuals

  • $18,000 for heads of household

  • $24,000 for married couples filing jointly

Standard Deduction Versus Itemizing

Deductions lower the amount of income that you pay tax on. You can take the standard deduction or you can itemize deductions. Your standard deduction may now be greater than your total itemized deductions. Learn how to decide to take the standard deduction or to itemize.

Personal and Dependent Exemptions Are Eliminated

Last year, you could take exemptions of $4,050 each for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. These exemptions lowered your taxable income. Even though personal exemptions are no longer available, the higher standard deduction and increases in other credits may help offset their loss.

Child Tax Credit Doubles to $2,000

Tax credits are better than deductions because they reduce your tax bill dollar-for-dollar. The Child Tax Credit now reduces your taxes up to $2,000 per child under 17. Many more families will qualify for the credit as income limits have gone up to

  • $200,000 for individual filers, compared to $75,000 last year

  • $400,000 for married filing jointly, compared to $110,000 last year

This is a “refundable” credit, meaning you can get up to $1,400 per child back even if your 2018 tax bill is $0. You must claim the credit on your tax return to get it.

Social Security Number Now Required for Child Tax Credit

Any child you claim for the Child Tax Credit must now have a Social Security number. They must have the number by the due date of your tax return (including extensions).

New $500 Credit for Other Dependents

You can now claim a credit for your other dependents, including kids 17 and up and other relatives. To qualify, a dependent must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. resident alien.

Many Itemized Deductions Have Been Eliminated or Capped

These are many of the changes. If you itemize, check for new rules in each category.

  • State and Local Taxes

    • Deductions for state and local taxes are now limited to $10,000 combined. This includes income, sales, and property (including real estate) taxes.

  • Home Ownership

    • Home equity loan interest is now deductible only if you use the money to build or renovate your home.  

    • Mortgage interest deductions on homes bought in 2018 have a new, lower limit. You can deduct interest on mortgages up to $750,000 for homes bought after December 15, 2017. The limit on homes bought on or before that date remains at $1,000,000.

  • Moving

    • You can no longer deduct moving expenses. The exception to this rule is for active duty military members who are moving due to a change in duty station.

  • Personal Casualty and Theft Losses

    • You can deduct personal casualty and theft losses only if they are related to a federally declared disaster. Each claim must include the FEMA code assigned to the disaster.

  • Charitable Contributions

    • The deduction for charitable donations has gone up. You can now deduct cash contributions of up to 60% of your adjusted gross income. Before 2018, it was 50%.

  • Medical and Dental Expenses

    • For 2018 only, you can deduct unreimbursed medical and dental expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. Before, expenses had to exceed 10%. For 2019, this amount returns to 10% of your adjusted gross income.

  • Miscellaneous Itemized Expenses eliminated include

    • Employee business expenses

    • Investment expenses from pass-through entities

    • Safe deposit box fees

    • Hobby losses

    • Job search expenses

    • Employment-related educational expenses

    • Investment expenses, including investment management fees

    • Tax preparation fees

Learn more about the tax law changes with Tax Reform: Basics for Individuals and Families. For specific questions, try out the Interactive Tax Assistant.

Earned Income Tax Credit

If you earn a low to moderate income, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)  can help you by reducing the amount of tax you owe. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. If EITC reduces your tax to less than zero, you may get a refund.

Who Qualifies for EITC?

You qualify for EITC if:

  • You have earned income and adjusted gross income within certain limits; AND
  • You meet certain basic rules; AND

You either:

  • Meet the rules for those without a qualifying child; OR
  • Have a child who meets all the qualifying rules for you or your spouse if you file a joint return.

EITC has special rules for members of the military, members of the clergy and taxpayers with certain types of disability income or children with disabilities.


Use the EITC Assistant to find out your filing status, if your child qualifies, if you are eligible, and the amount of credit you may receive.

Tax Benefits for Education

Educational tax benefits can help with a variety of expenses, including tuition for college, elementary, and secondary school. 

Because of the new tax law, education tax credits, deductions, and savings plans you may have used in the past have changed.

Find Out if You Qualify for Education Benefits

Use the Interactive Tax Assistant to see if you’re eligible for education credits or deductions. This includes the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the student loan interest deduction.

Education Credits

An education credit helps you pay education expenses by reducing the amount you owe on your tax return. There are two types of education credits:

  • The American Opportunity Tax Credit helps with expenses during the first four years of higher education. You can get a maximum annual credit of $2,500 per eligible student. If the credit lowers your tax to zero, you may get a refund.

  • The Lifetime Learning Credit can be used toward tuition payments and related expenses at qualifying educational institutions. It can help pay for undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree courses. Or, it can help with classes that improve job skills. You can claim up to $2,000 per tax return, and there is no limit on the number of years you can claim the credit.

You must meet income limits to be eligible for these credits. And you can’t claim both credits for the same student and the same expenses.


A deduction reduces the amount of your income that is subject to tax. As a result, deductions can lower the amount of tax you have to pay. You may qualify for a deduction based on your student loan interest.

Savings Plans

Education savings plans help parents and students save for elementary, secondary, and higher education expenses. The money you save or withdraw from your savings plan for qualified education expenses is tax-free. There are two types of savings plans:

Exclusions from Income

You don’t have to pay tax on payments you receive from your employer for tuition, books, and supplies for a course you’re taking. But you can’t claim these expenses for any other deduction or credit, including the Lifetime Learning Credit.

Energy Tax Incentives

Energy efficient appliances and energy-saving improvements can get you or your business tax credits and savings.   

Find out if you qualify for state, local, utility, and federal incentives:

  • Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE) - Find programs and policies in your state that support renewable energy and energy efficiency.
  • Residential Renewal Energy Tax Credit - Qualify for tax credits for buying solar-electric, solar water heaters, wind turbines, geothermal heat pumps, and fuel-cell equipment for your primary residence. The credits have been extended through the end of 2021.
    • The value of the credits for each technology will decrease by a certain percentage each year until they expire. 
  • Sales tax holidays - Find out if your state offers a sales tax holiday for buying energy-efficient appliances. 

Tax Relief in Disaster Situations

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers special tax help for individuals and businesses recovering from a major disaster or emergency.

Get Your Refund Faster

In a federally-declared disaster area, you can get a faster refund by filing an amended return. You will need to claim the disaster-related losses on your tax return for the previous year.

Get guidance from the IRS on amending a tax return or filing an extension after a disaster

Tax Relief for Wildfires and Hurricanes

Learn about tax relief for victims of the California wildfires and for hurricanes 

Federal Tax Deductions for Charitable Donations

You may be able to claim a deduction on your federal taxes if you donated to a 501(c)3 organization. You must file a Schedule A with your tax form, to deduct donations. If you want to deduct a non-cash donation, you'll also have to fill out a form 8283.

How much can you deduct?

The amount of money that you can deduct on your taxes may not be equal to the total amount of your donations.

  • If you donate non-cash items, you can claim the fair market value of the items on your taxes.

  • If you donated a vehicle, the amount of your deduction depends on if the organization uses the car or sells it at an auction.  “A Donor’s Guide to Vehicle Donation” explains how your deduction is determined.
  • If you received a gift or ticket to an event, you can only deduct the amount that exceeds the value of the gift or ticket. 


Keep records of your donations to charities. You may not have to send these documents with your tax returns, but they are good to keep with your other tax records. Common documents include:

  • Canceled check to the organization
  • Credit card statement showing a payment to the organization
  • Receipt from the organization
  • Annual giving statement from the charity or non-profit
  • Email confirmation from the organization
  • Written acknowledgment for vehicle donations
  • Itemized list of the items you donated
  • Vehicle identification number for vehicle donations
  • Signed over vehicle title
  • Phone bill, if you gave a donation through a text message
  • Valuations of stocks, real estate, art, or jewelry donated to a charity

Receipts and giving statements may include:

  • Name of the organization
  • Date of the donation
  • Amount of the donation
  • Statement that the charity did not exchange goods or services for your donation (if that was the case)
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN) for vehicle donations
    Share This Page:
    Facebook Twitter Email

    Do you need help?

    Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer or tell you where to find it.

    Last Updated: October 28, 2019