Skip to main content

How to update or change your voter registration

Learn how to update your name, address, and political party affiliation on your voter registration. And find out how to cancel it after moving.

Change your name or address on your voter registration

If you change your name or move to a new address, you must update your voter registration. If you move outside your state, you must register with the state you moved to. To change your registration:

  • Go to and select your state or territory. Note the registration deadline.
  • Depending on your state's rules, you will find instructions on how to register or change your information:
    • Online
    • By mail
    • By phone
    • In person at your local election office
  • Your state may ask you to re-register to make the information change or may provide a special form to use for reporting the change.

Change your registration using

Change your political party affiliation

Your political party affiliation is the party that you choose to associate with. Depending on your state, you may be asked your party affiliation when you register to vote. You can change your registration through your state election office. Before you do, know:

  • You do not have to join a political party or reveal your party preference when you register to vote.
  • Not every state accepts or lists a party affiliation on a voter registration card.
  • The party affiliation on your voter registration does not limit you to voting for just that party. You can always choose to vote for a candidate from any party in a general election, like a presidential, congressional, or mayoral election.
  • Your party affiliation is usually only important in primary elections. Many states have "closed" primaries. This means that you can only vote for your party’s candidates in its primary election. Learn about the different types of primary elections.

Other ways to update your voter registration

How to cancel your voter registration

Most counties and states do not require you to cancel your voter registration after you move. But many state and local election offices have forms you can submit to deregister from their voter rolls. Find your state or local election office to get voter cancellation forms or more information about how to deregister.

LAST UPDATED: February 16, 2024


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.