How to confirm your voter registration status
Check your voter registration online to confirm your voter registration number and if you are still registered. Verify your name, address, political party, and polling place.
How to check if you are registered to vote
Do you need to re-register or change your registration?
- Your name and address have not changed and you are an active voter.
- You have moved within your state or changed your name. Update your voter registration with your new location or your new name. Make sure you also update your state driver's license or state ID card before the election, if that is the voter ID you will use.
- You have moved permanently to another state. Register to vote in the new state.
- You move to a different state very close to the date of a presidential primary or general election.
- In some states, you may be able to register to vote when you cast your ballot on Election Day. Find out if your state has same-day registration.
- Some states, counties, and voting districts require you to be a resident for up to 30 days before an election. Check the date of your next federal, state, or local election.
- If you do not have time to register in your new state before a presidential primary or general election, your old state must allow you to vote in person or by absentee ballot. After that, you will need to register in and begin voting in your new state.
Why you should check your registration information
States try to keep their voter registration lists as accurate as possible. This means:
Removing registrations of voters who are no longer residents
Marking some registrations as inactive
You may be marked inactive if you:
Do not respond to election officials’ postcards or letters and
Have not voted in the last two federal general elections (a midterm and a presidential election)
If your registration is inactive, you may have to take extra steps before you can vote. If you do not, you may have to cast a provisional ballot.
Checking and updating (as needed) your registration ahead of time ensures:
Your name, address, and party affiliation are up-to-date.
You have time to make any necessary changes if your registration is marked inactive.
You can vote.
You know your correct polling place.
LAST UPDATED: February 16, 2024