How to register to vote
Learn how to register so you can vote in federal, state, and local elections.
Visit vote.gov to begin the voter registration process. Select your state or territory. Depending on its rules, you will find instructions on how to register:
- By mail
- In person at your local election office
Other ways to register to vote
- Download the National Mail Voter Registration Form. You can fill it out onscreen and print the completed form, or print the blank form and fill it out by hand. Remember to sign the form before mailing it to the location listed for your state.
- Check with local government offices to see if you can register in person.
Abroad and military voters
The Federal Voting Assistance Program lets you register to vote and request an absentee ballot if you are a
- U.S. citizen living outside the U.S.
- Service member stationed abroad
- Spouse or eligible family member of a service member stationed abroad
LAST UPDATED: August 8, 2023