Skip to main content

Filing a federal tax return if you are a nonresident alien

If you are living and working in the U.S. as a nonresident alien, you may be required to file a federal tax return.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers you a nonresident alien if you are not a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) or do not pass their substantial presence test.  

Learn from the IRS about filing a U.S. federal tax return if you are a nonresident alien. Find out:

  • If you need to file
  • How to claim a refund or credit
  • What income to report
  • Which forms to file

LAST UPDATED: April 5, 2023


Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.