Skip to main content

How to file a federal tax return if you live outside the U.S.

If you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder living abroad, the tax filing process is similar to filing a return if you are in the U.S.

Learn from the IRS about filing a U.S. tax return if you live abroad, including:

  • What special tax credits and deductions you may qualify for based on:
    • Foreign taxes and income you have paid and earned
    • Foreign housing expenses
  • When to file your return
  • Where to mail paper tax returns
  • What income to report
  • What forms you may need to file

As a resident alien, find out:

  • What residency requirements must be met for tax purposes
  • Your filing status
  • How to file for an extension
  • How to get a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)

LAST UPDATED: December 28, 2023


Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.