How to file a federal tax return if you live outside the U.S.
If you are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder living abroad, the tax filing process is similar to filing a return if you are in the U.S.
- What special tax credits and deductions you may qualify for based on:
- Foreign taxes and income you have paid and earned
- Foreign housing expenses
- When to file your return
- Where to mail paper tax returns
- What income to report
- What forms you may need to file
As a resident alien, find out:
- What residency requirements must be met for tax purposes
- Your filing status
- How to file for an extension
- How to get a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
LAST UPDATED: December 8, 2023