Find out if your federal or state tax return was received
See if your federal or state tax return was received. You can check regardless of how you filed or whether you owe taxes or will receive a refund.
Check your federal tax return status online
If you are receiving a tax refund, check its status using the IRS Where’s My Refund tool. You can view the status of your refund for the past 3 tax years.
- If you owe money or are receiving a refund, you can check your return status by signing in to view your IRS online account information.
Other ways to check your federal tax return status
- Call the IRS. Wait times to speak to a representative may be long. When you call, be ready to give your:
- Social Security number and birthdate
- Filing status: Are you single, married, or head of household?
- Any prior communications from the IRS
- Look for email or status updates from your e-filing website or software.
- If you used USPS Certified Mail or another mail service with tracking, check with them to see if your return was delivered.
Check your state tax return status
To see if your state tax return was received, check with your state’s revenue or taxation website to find out how to confirm that your return was received.
LAST UPDATED: September 22, 2023